Sunday 30 July 2017

London, day 1, July 12th, 2017, Kensal Green Cemetery, part 1

The night had been short but true to the motto "I can sleep when I am dead" I was up super early. Breakfast and then off to the ~ dead. I am still on my mission to visit all seven of the so-called "Magnificent Seven" in London. So far I had been to:
  1. Abney Park Cemetery
  2. Highgate Cemetery
  3. West Norwood Cemetery
  4. Brompton Cemetery
For this stay in London, I had planned to visit two more: Kensal Green Cemetery and Tower Hamlets Cemetery Park, incidentally the first and the last of the seven to open. And the best part about it? I would visit both cemeteries with my friend! I think I have mentioned this before but it is still valid: I've always loved to visit London but now that I have a very dear friend there, I enjoy coming back even more. Meeting point was Kensal Green tube station. As I was staying in the same hotel as last time, very close to Baker Street Station, I only had to hop on the Bakerloo Line and I was there in no time.



                  Kensal Green Cemetery

The cemetery was opened in 1833 and was and still is run by the General Cemetery Company.  Its inspiration was the famous Père Lachaise Cemetery in Paris. It now covers 72 acres (29 hectares). Now for someone like me who has totally no idea about square measures, this means nothing. An acre equals 4046.86 square metres. Hmmm, still means nothing to me. One can fit about 16 tennis courts into 1 acre. At least this I can somehow envisage. But actually I cannot really imagine 1150 tennis courts, so all this is pointless. Let's say it is spacious :)
 
http://www.kensalgreen.co.uk/monuments/
For a higher resolution, click on the picture, source of the picture: Friends of Kensal Green website
 
On top of the Centre Avenue is the Anglican Chapel which is currently closed to the public. According to the official website of the cemetery the General Cemetery Company is currently seeking funds to restore/refurbish it. We found it to be in poor condition:
Anglican Chapel
The Dissenters' Chapel in the East corner of the cemetery is under the care of the Historic Chapels' Trust and is managed on their behalf by the Friends of Kensal Green Cemetery It serves as the office for the FOKGC but can be used for services on request. For some reason I didn't make a photo of it, so the 2 following photos are not mine.
Dissenters' Chapel
 
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f3/02_Kensal_Green_Dissenters_Chapel.jpg
Dissenters' Chapel
  Some more statistics: number of graves ~ 65.000+ , number of interments ~ about 250.000. It is still an operating cemetery. The list of notable persons buried there is long but I only have heard of a handful of them.

Taphophiles explore Kensal Green (a selection of my photos)

Robert William Sievier
Robert William Sievier FRS (24 July 1794 – 28 April 1865) was a notable English engraver, sculptor and later inventor of the 19th century.  
Princess Sophia of the United Kingdom, daughter of King George III
So there are Royals buried in Kensal Green Cemetery as well.  HRH Prince Augustus Frederick, Duke of Sussex, specified in his will that he doesn't want a state funeral and that he wants to be buried at Kensal Green Cemetery. What a fantastic promotion for the cemetery!! Making it even more attractive for the Victorians. His sister Princess Sophia is buried opposite to his resting place. I have no photo of the Duke's tomb but there a many photos of it to be found online.
Tomb of William Holland
William Holland (1779-1856) Furniture maker & society undertaker.
"The London firm of Stephen Taprell and William Holland were chair and sofa manufacturers from about 1803-1835. They were succeeded by Taprell, Holland and Sons from 1835-1843, and the firm traded as Holland and Sons after 1843.
Stephen Taprell, the senior partner, remained actively in business until his partner William Holland took over in 1843. Taprell died in 1847, aged 73, and was buried in the Holland family vault in Kensal Green Cemetery.
The esteem in which Stephen Taprell was held by the Holland family is shown by the fact that William Holland's second son James, who was the senior partner of the firm from 1851-72, named his first two sons Stephen Taprell Holland and George Taprell Holland."
This quote comes from this very interesting article about the company Holland & Sons  
Tomb of William Holland
A little bit more information here to be continued with more photos ... for instance the fancy Ducrow monument

All photos which are not mine are linked back to the original place.


 
highly recommended links for more information:
Official Website of Kensal Green Cemetery Website of the Friends of Kensal Green The Mausolea & Monuments Trust (fantastic treasure trove with many interesting additional information!) Victorianweb ~ Parks And Cemeteries

No comments:

Post a Comment