Saturday 17 February 2018

THE SOUTH BANK/BREWERY/ABSOLUTE BEGINNERS ~ LION

I first saw this lion in Bowie’s “Absolute Beginners” video.


And when I came to London for the very first time and we arrived at Westminster Bridge everyone hopped off the bus going “Oh!! Big Ben!!!”. Not me. I was like “ah!!! The ‘Absolute Beginners’ lion!!!” (yeah, priorities, eh 😉 )

And yesterday I accidentally tripped over that lion (figuratively speaking, it is not really possible to trip over that lion, hehe) and I have found out that it has not always been there at Westminster Bridge. Which actually doesn’t surprise me in the least because they constantly rearrange things in London! You must know I once came up with that thesis to cover up a mistake I had made LOL. For some reason I had been under the impression that St. Paul’s Cathedral was close to The Houses of Parliament. When my friend said that this isn’t so, I simply claimed that it had been so when I had been there and that they have shifted the cathedral. 😀

Ever since I have found several examples of things changing places  in London *nods* ~ just think of the Shaftesbury Memorial Fountain, Charing Cross, the statue of General Charles Gordon which moved from Trafalgar Square to Victoria Embankment. Hell yes, the original fountains of Trafalgar Square and London Bridge even moved to other countries! So prove me wrong! 😉

And now ~ that lion. Yesterday I have found out that this lion belonged to a brewery ~ Lion Brewery, to be precise (how apt, hehe) and it once graced the parapet of their factory on the South Bank where The Royal Festival Hall now stands.


I just love these little quirky facts. (and I love to find “proof” for my thesis 😉 )

No comments:

Post a Comment